I recently had two dreams fulfilled: One was to introduce someone to Buddhism; the other concerned my health.I am five-feet-two-inches, and my weight has gone up to 215 pounds due to a thyroid problem. I am also pre-diabetic, have sleep apnea and fibromyalgia. I was also denied gastric bypass surgery because of the other health problems.
I have tried so many diets that, had I recorded all of my experiences, I might have had enough material to write a small book.
I have had this insatiable urge to stuff food in my mouth for so many years and have agonized over this problem for so long that I had become exhausted and totally discouraged.
I am so grateful for the latest encouragement from Linda, our SGI-USA Women’s Leader, to accomplish one thing that we had put on the back burner because we thought it couldn't be accomplished.
I do have to admit that the first time I heard her encouragement, I thought: Now what am I going to do? Am I going to change one important thing that I have put on the back burner, as she encouraged us to do, or am I going to ignore the guidance and live a life of misery? I remembered SGI President Ikeda's guidance that an unchallenged life is an unhappy life.
Four months ago, I started seeing the results of my efforts to introduce others to Buddhism. One of the people I introduced is married to a chiropractor who also does acupuncture.
I truly had no hope, but I reminded myself that, “No prayer goes unanswered.” In just one week's time, I lost the horrible cravings that have kept me shoving food in my mouth all day and night, and I can now concentrate on enjoying healthy food. I have every confidence that I am on my way to good health.
My guilt is beginning to melt away, and a little bit of sweets is becoming satisfying, enough so that I can actually be satisfied by eating raw veggies for a snack.
My energy is boosted, and I am becoming so excited, thinking that, at this rate, I could continue introducing others to Buddhism at 90.
I am 66 now and so excited about the new vitality. I can't thank Linda enough for encouraging us to dig out those old dreams and dust them off. I feel like a new person and more determined then ever to work on my dreams for the rest of my life. My faith is renewed, and I am looking forward to a long happy life of spreading the true Law.
Name: Paula Bauman
Years of Practice: 41
Region/District: North San Diego Region/New Horizon District
This is so encouraging. Thank you. I battle with my weight and also have a thyroid problem. I am going to make weightloss a top priority!
ReplyDelete