Miss the address from SGI Honorary Women’s Leader Kaneko Ikeda? We include the second excerpt from the January–February Living Buddhism. To subscribe to the SGI-USA weekly newspaper World Tribune or the bimonthly study journal Living Buddhism online, click here!"Whenever I read The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, I am profoundly moved by his deep respect and compassion for women. For instance, in a letter addressed to the lay nun Sennichi, a sincere follower who supported and assisted him during his exile on Sado Island, Nichiren writes: "Since I have realized that only the Lotus Sutra teaches the attainment of Buddhahood by women, and that only the Lotus is the sutra of true requital for repaying the kindness of our mother, in order to repay my debt to my mother, I have vowed to enable all women to chant the daimoku of this sutra (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo)" ("The Sutra of True Requital," WND-1, 931).
"Nichiren Buddhism is a teaching that opens the way for all women to gain true, lasting happiness. It also enables us to repay our debt of gratitude to our mothers in the most profound way.
"Embracing the Daishonin's spirit of respect for all people, we of the SGI are creating a warm and humanistic realm of happiness and joy amid the harsh realities of society, while supporting and encouraging one another in our endeavors. In our movement, joyous progress always begins with the victory of a single individual who strives with the same spirit as the mentor" (p. 15).
No comments:
Post a Comment