“Sensei!” We smiled. Then the flashes went off. As a newer practitioner of Nichiren Buddhism in 2005, I did not get why we would smile at the camera and say, “Sensei!”My understanding of the mentor-disciple relationship really began when I started doing Byakuren (a young women's behind-the-scenes group), inspired by a young woman who shared her experience exploring the meaning of a “vow.”
At discussion meetings, people often mentioned SGI President Ikeda as their sensei—their mentor. I thought reading The Human Revolution would allow me to understand President Ikeda. I bookmarked the first chapter, disappointed that I was reading about the second Soka Gakkai president Josei Toda. This book remained closed for two more years.
During this time, a pioneer member asked about Calvin Boone, the first person I introduced to this practice. How was he? Was he still chanting? I did not know. That was my introduction to member care—cherishing each person as President Ikeda cherishes each of us.
Calvin is legally blind. When I called him, he was indeed struggling with his Buddhist practice. He lived in Hayward. I lived in San Francisco. So we started a weekly Buddhist study call. We began with the World Tribune, sometimes the Living Buddhism. I would read aloud article headlines. The articles he often wanted me to read aloud were written by President Ikeda. I would inwardly groan, since these articles were lengthiest. We both benefited, though, in strengthening our study habits.
In July 2007, Calvin and I both deeply desired a human revolution. So we dedicated every night to Buddhist study call starting at 9 p.m.., to avoid using our cell phones during prime time. We started reading The Human Revolution.
On July 24, we came across Josei Toda’s quote: “I advise those of you who have worries to practice the faith earnestly and engage in propagation activities resolutely for a period of just one year… If your situation has not taken a favorable turn by this day next year, I will give you my life. I promise that upon my honor. So have faith in my words and do exactly as I say.” We determined that evening that exactly one year from then, on July 24, 2008, we would assess where we were in our lives.
Our rhythm at the beginning of our calls was one chapter a night. Then we got to the chapters that would take three to four hours to read aloud. Hoarse throat, dry lips, strained eyes and low batteries on the phone were frequent. Then I got a job as a first-year teacher. We continued our calls, an hour a day. We are now studying The New Human Revolution, Vol. 15.
Calvin is now a group chief and employed with fully booked shifts and repeatedly serving happy clients. I am now an area young womens' leader and have expanded my career options. Most importantly, we have deepened our connection with our chosen mentor: President Ikeda. I also wholeheartedly mean it now when I say “Sensei” to the camera.
Name: Gloria Ng
Years of practice: 4 years
Region/District: Oakland East Bay South/Emeryville
No comments:
Post a Comment