2.10.2009

Blue Skies in Hawaii

On Jan. 13, Carol Kawamoto and I were appointed as the region women’s and women’s vice leaders for Hawaii #3 in Pacific Zone.

We decided to chant abundant daimoku (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo) with our team to unite with our mentor SGI President Ikeda’s vision for peace and to encourage as many members as possible.

Our zone began 10-hour daimoku sessions on Saturdays. Carol and I decided to rally our region team to participate. We chanted joyfully and strongly together, sometimes for five hours, other times for six. We really felt our unity strengthen, as well as our connection with our mentor, whose sole motivation is world peace.

Just like women across our territory, I created my own bucket list, which included paying off one credit card. When I was talking to someone about my bucket list, he asked me how I was going to pay off my credit card, when I could only afford the minimum payment each month.

Yes, that was true. But I retorted, "That's exactly why we chant—to make the seemingly impossible possible!”

I reminded him how, on Jan. 16, all the schools and government offices were shut down because of an impending storm. Yet, we needed beautiful weather in Hawaii for our inaugural “Culture of Peace Distinguished Speakers Series.”

On the morning of the event, the school had called to cancel the event. Through the united, powerful prayer of all the Hawaii members, the school eventually consented to let us carry out the activity.

Though the morning had started out rainy and windy, as predicted, the storm had turned away from the island by the afternoon. That night, we celebrated our SGI event under the most beautiful and balmy Hawaiian night sky.

If we can chant away a storm, we can definitely change our lives. I thought: We can't depend on our limited minds; we have to really believe in the power of our prayer. No matter what, I'm going to accomplish my bucket list!

The next day, my boss called me in for a meeting. When two other bosses walked in, as well, I wondered what it was about. To my happy surprise, they gave me a big bonus check. I was shocked.

I get to pay off my credit card debt and start saving for May commemorative contribution and February has just begun! With deep gratitude, I will fight for the members’ happiness and claim victory for all of this month!

Name: Eileen Reinholz
Region: Hawaii #3

No comments:

Post a Comment